Chapter 1: How children grieve
Tell me about it.
I'm here for you.
Whether a child's behaviour is due to age or grief, they benefit when they're assured that:
- Grief is a natural and healthy part of life.
- Their thoughts, feelings and experiences are normal and expected when living through difficult times.
- You're truly willing to listen.
- You want to know about even the hardest parts of their grief.
- Their grief isn't a burden to you and it helps you to hear about their thoughts and feelings.
Your feelings are normal
When children know they’re listened to – and what they’re feeling is normal and okay – it’s easier for them to explore and express their feelings in ways that are:
- Healing, and
- Connect them with others.
Learn more about supporting your children in Module 3 Supporting grieving children.